Tuesday, September 3, 2013

NYS Fair 2013 Final Post

C'est moi!
 The second Tuesday night of the fair, I signed up to help demo spinning with my buddy, Angela.  I brought my spindle and a few things that I wanted to get done.  My first two hours were spent plying some fiber that I got at the Yarn Cupboard Retreat this past April.  I had a few people come up to me and ask questions about how to ply on a spindle.  I'm always surprised at how many fiber fanatics are out there but how well hidden they are!

Coveting this wheel so badly
 Angela was spinning some fiber she carded before hand on her Kromski Sonata.  She was super spinner demo person extraordinaire and I'm pretty sure she converted a few kiddies to fiber side!

 Once I was done plying, I moved on to some fiber from Burt's Peaceful Valley that I got at the Little York Fiber Festival last October.  I used my spindle that I got at the fair last year but unfortunately didn't get too far since the hook started to come loose.  Good thing I brought an extra spindle!  Plus, Angela's husband to the rescue - he's currently nursing my spindle back to life.  Thank you, Gerald! :-D

 My in-laws came to see me demo for a little bit and took this picture of me and Angela being sweaty spinners!  Haha!

Do you see the Great Wheel in this picture?
 Even though I brought my own equipment and fiber, the Wool Center always provides a ton of fiber to work with.  They even have an Ashford Kiwi to use, which I played with the last half hour of my shift.  I didn't get photo of what I spun but it came out pretty good.  I decided to leave it on the bobbin and have someone continue where I left off with the same fiber or different.

The Wool Center also sells lots of hand made items to raise money for upkeep of the small building.  Their goal is to try and put a new roof on in the near future.  I saw a few people purchase some hats and thought, 'yes, people still buy hand made!'  

 Did you go to a state fair where hand made items were proudly on display? 

No comments:

Post a Comment