Friday, July 1, 2011

Kiss my Ashlar...

So I was moving right along on my Ashlar Cardigan and finally making some major progress as pictured here:

Doesn't it look super cute?  I thought so and when I decided to stop a moment and try it on for the first time, I realized the importance of guage.  You see, I don't really do guage swatches.  It's like I'm all desensitized to the whole scolding of "you gotta make a guage swatch" blah blah blah.  Kinda like, you shouldn't watch so much television it will rot your brain.  Sorry, I gots to have my "Roseanne" on Netflix.  Anywho, it was a tad too big and the sleeve holes had the potential of showing some side boob.  Not that I'd wear this without a shirt underneath but you get the idea.  Currently, it's back in it's original form of a million little balls of yarn.  I figure I have battled with the darn sweater long enough.  Fine sweater!  You win!  That leaves me one short for my 12 for me goal but I'm not going to even think about it now.  Especially after this mess:

Yep, those are my first attempts at spinning some fiber.  Oh Falkland Wool I'm so sorry about what I did to you :-(.  I'm going to just take a break from this crimped up mess and try to make pre-drafting my thing.

4 comments:

  1. my first spinning looks like that too, its okay! as my teacher told me "as long as it holds together, and looks like yarn, it is yarn! if it holds together, and looks like yarn you want, its EXCELLENT yarn." don't give up, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I went back to it last night to show the husband and I was spinning pretty well! Yea! I'm so enjoying this spinning thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes, the beauty of swatching (!) ... and of top-down construction, so you can try it on and figure out well in advance of completion just how off you are. :)

    And I laughed at your spinning effort, but do see the beginnings of some funky-good yarn, so you must be doing something right.

    P.S. - my word verification? Cried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, that is too funny! How fitting!

    ReplyDelete