Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Parking it.

So it's vacation and I have a little extra time.  Thanks Hazel for taking 2 1/2 hour naps!  Whoohoo!  In some of that "free" time I have been spinning on my Ashford spindle a little each day since my last post.  I'm so obsessive that I go to sleep thinking about how I can spin better in the morning.  Ah!  I'm such a nerd!  Anywho, here's a pic of my latest progress:

What I have learned in the past few days is the importance of drafting and I've been watching a boat load of drafting videos on YouTube just to make sure I'm doing it correctly.  I also realized that I'm not faster than the spindle yet so I've been doing a lot of parking and drafting.  I'm relieved that it doesn't feel as awkward as the first time and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my nubby mess of Falkland Wool Fiber craziness from the first of the month.  It looks like trying to untwist will make me go insane and I can't use it for padding anything because it's all sorts of bulgy.    Ideas?

All sorts of proud of myself right now!

3 comments:

  1. I used mine to practice Kool-Aid Dying! And then I set it in a neat little skein in a jar and I use it to remember fondly learning to spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonky wool works really well in felted items, as long as it's not superwash. You could get a bit of wool roving, add your Faulkland nubby-bits as a design element, and rub and roll with soapy water to make felt. It wouldn't have to be a large piece...maybe enough to sew up into a little clutch for 'one day' when you have a date night again! (Can you tell that I'm a mother of four daughters...including twins?!?!) Giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestions! Duh, felting!!! :-P I could so do that with my wool nubs!

    ReplyDelete