Sunday, May 6, 2012

April Hand Spun Part Deux

 This is the official glam shot of what I spun up last month.  I am very proud of this fibery offering.  This was Blue Faced Leicester roving that I bought at the Yarn Cupboard's Winter Fiber Arts Retreat from Twisted Wool,  a mother-daughter team from Marietta, New York.  I used my Ashford spindle and really packed on the singles and then two plyed it from a center pull ball.  

I was really stubborn with getting all the singles on to my spindle.  I probably shouldn't have been but I'm still a noob at this and will learn eventually to be more consistent and trust my spinning instincts.  There's still a couple of things I'm afraid to do with my spindle that if I had the ovaries, would make my spinning more efficient and speedy.  I still have yet to have my spindle spinning and me drafting at the same time.  I'm stuck in this park-draft mode that is really working for me but I know I can do better.  I, also, am in a two ply kind of rut, so to speak.  When I get my fiber pre-drafted I have intentions of separating the fluff into even amounts so I can at least try to three ply but then I get nervous and just decide to stick with what I'm comfortable with.  I'm getting positive reinforcement from my spinning buddies but I'm still being a whiny, wuss about it.

As for the facts about this lovely yarn that I named, "I'm Only Sleeping," (The Beatles inspire me to name any fiber that comes with no colorway name)  I came up with about 84 yards from 4 ounces of BFL fiber in a worsted weight.  This feels light and bouncy and squishy.  I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment